December 9, 2011

What I Learned


What did I learn this semester?

I think that personally, this semester has more to do with self-discovery as a writer than anything else.  When you write you discover new things about yourself.  I found out that I write some seriously depressing stuff even if it is good.  I really think that it is all because I'm good at being happy.  I am.  However, I am horrible at expressing anger, disappointment, or sadness.  It either overwhelms me or I keep it too bottled inside and both options are unhealthy.  Either way, I have learned about my skills at expressing myself through poetry.  I knew already I could write poems fairly easily.  I never knew I was any good at it.  I always felt that my writing was insignificant compared to what others wrote, it still is but a little less if that makes any sense.  I know now that I don't have to be afraid of showing others my work.  I can Be Proud Of My Words.

That is what I learned on a personal level.  There is also the philosophical route to take with this assignment.  The world will never be perfect.  We always have to keep telling ourselves that we have to be our own person.  We can't just go along with the crowd. We have to stand up for what we believe in, others around us, anything that is worth standing up for in our own minds.  We have to learn to try and fail but to never fail to try.  We can fail at so many things but at least we tried, right?  When you're dead, do you want people to talk about how many things you wanted to do but were too afraid to even try?  Or would you rather them laugh and reminisce in the failed attempts at living life? 

People die.  It is a horrible thing that should never happen, but it does.  We deal with it everyday.  We even remind ourselves of them all the time.  Maybe it's because we are gluttons for punishment.  Maybe it's because there will always be the pain of them being gone and yet it gets just a little bit better with each step towards clarity of our memories of them.  We will always love them but it will now be accompanied with a touch of pain, sorrow, and longing.
Picture Link
Life is like a windshield, there may be a few raindrops to blur things, but we need to have our wipers on.  Rain are the things that distract us everyday from our goals, dreams, from life.  Wipers are the things, people, events that happen to us that ground us in our life.  Then we'll be able to see where the road is.

Basically, we have to remember we all need a little Poetic Clarity from time to time.